- This event has passed.
Trauma Sensitive Yoga
February 11 @ 11:30 am - 12:30 pm$320
This main objective of trauma sensitive yoga is to create a space for participants to notice what they feel in their body, and to offer choices about what to do with their body based upon what they feel. Participants do not have to talk to each other acknowledging that some people may find it difficult to be in group situations. The yoga style taught is not religious, nor affiliated with any particular yoga style. It is based on Trauma Centre Trauma Sensitive Yoga (TCTSY) a programme of the Center for Trauma and Embodiment at the Justice Research Institute in Boston.
A maximum of 10 participants will be in each class on any given week, and all will have committed to the 8-week course. We run these groups 4x per year at various locations around Auckland.
What you can expect from a trauma sensitive yoga class:
– The use of invitational language and offering many choices / variations around differing shapes and forms
– Creating a safe, supportive and compassionate group environment
– Catering for all abilities with the option of a chair and/or a yoga mat in each class
– Not offering physical adjustments or assists
What are the potential outcomes:
– Improved affect regulation
– Befriending the body
– Heightened breath awareness
– Learning to recognise choices in relation to the body and develop the ability to take effective action based on these choices
– Noticing and feeling the body in the present moment
How can you access trauma sensitive yoga?:
This course can be self-funded and self-referred at a cost of $320 for the 8 week course. Please get in touch via email@example.com to arrange this.
This class can also be funded under ACC Sensitive Claims (ISSC) (as Short Term Group Therapy) if you have an approved claim. Talk to your lead provider to request this.