Our state of health is the integration of the energetic body with the physical body. Welcome to Jin Shin Jyutsu (JSJ) Physio-Philosophy ® – an ancient Japanese healing art of harmonizing body, mind, emotions and spirit through gentle touch.
Imagine a traffic incident on the motorway. At first it appears that only the cars immediately behind the crash are affected as they need to come to a stop. Soon after, all following cars begin to slow down and eventually there is a traffic jam; everyone is stuck, nothing is moving.
The same occurs in our physical body. Energetic pathways (similar to meridians) run throughout our entire body feeding life to all organ functions and cells. Like a river, this energy needs to flow freely so that we may be filled with vital life energy for optimum health. Due to our hectic, modern lifestyles, diets, mental and emotional stress, areas along these pathways may get blocked and energy stagnates. JSJ facilitates that movement along those pathways that activates the healing process in the body.
The treatment begins with the practitioner listening to the energetic pulse at the client’s wrist, which indicates the source of any disharmony and shows where exactly energy needs to be released or regenerated. Any illness or discomfort is the result of mental attitudes or emotions that we tend to hold on to – worry, fear, anger/frustration, grief/sadness and pretense – that manifest in our physical body. Consciously or not, JSJ guides us to lovingly let go of these emotions and teaches us that we can only change through the present moment. The resulting treatment therefore is a unique therapeutic application tailored to the recipient at that moment.
Ultimately JSJ is the story of the breath. Inhaling up the back and receiving, exhaling down the front of the body and releasing. You might wonder how that is different to Yoga? Try it! I love my pranayama (yogic breathing) exercises, but these require my conscious effort to breathe in a certain rhythmic way. Jin Shin Jyutsu is the experience of the breath that is breathing you, effortlessly.
What I love most about this harmonizing practice:
– JSJ transforms people’s quality of life. Harmonizing the whole person goes beyond feeling good in your body. It affects their attitude towards life, lifestyle choices and relationships. For example, the Small Intestine Energy helps us to make decisions and the Spleen Function Energy allows us to adjust to the changing seasons (mood, fatigue, allergies). JSJ is about facilitating supportive relationships in the recipient’s inner and outer worlds.
– JSJ is calm, non-invasive and complements other therapies. It is the origin of acupuncture, but instead of working with needles, we simply utilize the abundant universal Source Energy that is always present in our hands. The practitioner places their hands (without pressure) on different areas on the body in various sequences to clear physiological, psychological, emotional and energetic blockages. This initiates the body’s innate healing power and allows vital life energy to flow harmoniously once again.
– It’s practical. Everyone can learn JSJ and apply simple holds to help oneself anytime, anywhere. Self-help holds are a combination of two areas on the body that you gently lay your hands on until you feel a pulsation in your fingertips. There are many combinations for various situations, including: helping digestion, opening the breath, supporting the immune system, releasing headaches, tight shoulders, cooling burns, drawing out a bee sting, calming the mind, connecting to our intuition… Healing opportunities are limitless!
– It’s intuitive. Most people are already using JSJ without even knowing. Referring to the pictures above: Children harmonize themselves by sucking their fingers (each finger corresponds to certain attitudes and body functions), we tend to hold our forehead when trying to remember something, we cross our arms in front of the body with the hands resting on the crease of the elbow to signal our authority and stay true to ourselves, we hold our wrist to strengthen our nervous system and connect to our intuition. This is Jin Shin Jyutsu in action.
– Like Yoga, JSJ is a way of life! My day always begins with a revitalizing JSJ flow. You may think of it as a touch meditation. Upon waking, I place my hands on myself in a centralizing sequence that grounds me and brings the light of the Sun into my being. It allows me to go forth in my day and be who I am, honouring my divine connection.
– Healing beyond diagnosis. While people usually come to me with a diagnosis – JSJ doesn’t diagnose or label – we simply focus on redirecting energy to increase the harmony. This is important because JSJ respects the power of the word. Since everything is vibration, the words we choose literally shape our reality. Why give the mind a label to cling to when regeneration can occur without it? It is vital to bring awareness to our language so that we may avoid creating unnecessary challenges. In JSJ we turn (health) problems into projects. A problem is something you’re stuck with and it’s tricky to get out of that energy, whereas a project is a challenge that can be overcome. This creates empowerment and fun!
The self-discovery journey with JSJ allows us to learn to listen and understand the language of our body. With this awareness we are able to apply its practical wisdom to be happy, healthy and harmonious in our being where we are right now. Through Jin Shin Jyutsu we remember the complete harmony and bliss that resides within.
To find more about how you could benefit from receiving Jin Shin Jyutsu, please visit http://naamaste.com/services/jin-shin-jyutsu
Based in Auckland, Julia is the founder of Naamasté and is a certified teacher and practitioner of Naam Yoga Therapies, Harmonyum Healing and Jin Shin Jyutsu.
Julia believes that knowing oneself deeply is the foundation for all healing change and she seeks to empower her clients on their self-healing pathway by working with the complete person: mind, body, emotions and spirit.
© The Yoga Connection 2017